Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Trade 6 Get It Free...More Like "STEAL"...

Okay...I'll be the first one to admit it. I used to hate how little you got in exchange for trading your games in at EB Games or Gamestop. How can one justify getting $8-12 on a perfectly good game that you originally spent over $67 of your hard-earned money on?

I never did like it but up until last year, I started to understand that at certain times, you have to take advantage of their system to get even. What am I talking about? Listen up...I'll tell you.

Last year, one of my good buddies who worked at the mall where my work was tipped me into a trick he uses to get what he wants for way less. Remember that special Halo 3 edition that came with the replica Master Chief helmet that was ridiculously overpriced at about $150? Well, I got it for about $90.

How you ask? Easy -- trades at EB Games.

At the start of every new season, EB Games usually holds a massive special where they have a sale on previously used games. Usually its buy 2 games for $10, 15, 20 or 30. You then flip those games back if they fall into the qualified trade-in offer for what you want. The Halo 3 Legendary Edition would be free if you traded in 6 games that qualified at $8 or more. The trick is finding out which games are closest to $8 without spending a lot of money. I managed to find 6 which worked out to about $90. Doing that saved me about $70 off the final price of the H3 Legendary package.

Fast-forward to this fall promotion -- EB is offering a "Trade 6 Get Nintendo DS Lite Free" promo. I went to my local Blockbuster on Sunday and found 3 games that after taxes came out to be $37. Those games were "NFL Tour (PS3)", "Harry Potter & The Order of the Phoenix (360)" and "Nights (Wii)". I wasn't doing this for my benefit but that of a close friend who really wanted a DS but the price was out of her budget. I had 3 games sitting here that quite honestly I had not played at all in the time I had them -- "Dead or Alive 4 (360), Tiger Woods PGA Tour '07 (360)" and "Call of Duty 4 (360)" and had to issues donating them. I didn't feel like running around to find games from a list I was given from my source at EB so I used my own games. I'll just take the trade values and ask her for that and call it even. They weren't being used anyways and I would have gotten the same value from EB for them so its all good.

The only thing with the promotion is that the games must have the original case and instruction booklets. So I was able to snag a Polar White DS Lite for my friend and I can't wait to see the look on her face when I present it to her and tell her how much it cost.

So if you are quick enough, you can do the same thing if you want a DS badly but make sure you do it before the end of September as the deal ends at the end of the month.

Oh, I forgot to mention is valid for Canadian EB stores only.


No comments: